Photobucket
Latest News

New Year, New Me

Sunday, December 28, 2008 , Posted by Liz at 7:36 PM

The year of 2009 is fast approaching, and I must say I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about New Years resolutions or anything (like that) for that matter. I know for me, every year it is the same old song and dance, "I need to lose weight, or workout more often", but I need to face the facts, and be realistic. I have a list probably at least a mile long of things I need to improve upon in my life, or things that I need to "do". I'm not superhuman, or perfect, so I am going to work on a few things at a time and not set such unrealistic goals for myself this year. Besides, when I pressure myself to accomplish insurmountable tasks, then I totally set myself up for failure. Here are a few of my ideas on becoming the "new me" in 2009.

  • Become more organized, and this includes in my home, my schedule, with my children, and all aspects of my life in general. First and foremost I will start each morning with quiet time with my Lord by reading the Bible, and then spending some prayer time to lead my day in the right path and direction. I will then start by following the advice from FlyLady, who offers decluttering techniques for keeping your home organized and spic and span. I will also utilize my new day planner (yes, old fashioned pen and paper) for a daily schedule, and to remind myself of upcoming appointments and whatnot. I will also use a chore chart for my children, somewhat like this free printable one to help them stay on task. To round out my organizational plans, I will continue my Menu Plan Monday, with Org Junkie, to stay on target with our meals for the week.
  • Another area of concern to me is my physical health and activity. I believe I can accomplish more physical activity by committing to at least five days a week of cardio and three days of toning exercises. I'm not talking boot camp here, but I do need to get my booty in gear. I will also commit to including at least three fruits and/or green veggies in my diet daily. I have noticed recently that I can go days at a time on carbs and sugar, with no fruit in sight. This isn't healthy or balanced at all, and could cause me to feel more sluggish and run down. I will also increase my water consumption to eight glasses daily.( I can start with a nice cold 12 ounce bottle from the fridge in the morning, and refill it throughout the day.) I have joined some other ladies on MomLogic here, for a group that is to promote and encourage healthy living and a change of lifestyle.
  • One thing I would like to include in the year 2009 is more"paying it forward" on my part. I have participated in our family March of Dimes team for the past four years, (and plan to continue) and contributed significantly to this charity that is very near and dear to my heart. I regularly contribute clothing, toys, etc. to our local Salvation Army, which is something that isn't that difficult to do. My hubby and I also regularly give time, money and anything else necessary to our church. But I still feel the need to be more giving, even in times when cash is tight. I spend a lot of time focused on things I don't have, (materialistically at least,) that I don't think of those that really don't have food to eat, clothes to wear, or a roof over their head. I would like to contribute to Loaves and Fishes, which is a church-run food pantry in our community. On a monthly basis I will donate the needed food items on the list provided by this organization to help feed those in need. I am also considering volunteering at the Crisis Pregnancy Resource Center in our area. I have felt led to do this for some time now, and believe it is a service I can feasibly offer at least one day a month. If I come across other organizations, or situations that I feel I can help, then I will "pay it forward". I have truly been inspired by Jessica's blog and all of her fifteen days of resolutions, so I must give her some credit for motivating me to write this post.
Please feel free to tell me your ideas about the upcoming year of 2009, and if you have any hints or suggestions for me, then I am more than willing to listen. Most of all for the year of 2009 I want to be a Godly woman who lives each day as if it was my last.


Currently have 3 comments:

  1. great post....love your ideas!

  1. Liz says:

    great ideas....too bad we don't live closer..I need a workout partner!

  1. okay, this is too weird! Your list for the new year is nearly identical to mine. I can totally relate!!