Photobucket
Latest News

The Aftermath

Friday, December 26, 2008 , Posted by Liz at 4:37 PM

The day after Christmas is always kind of weird for me. It is a cluttered mess of toys, clothes, wrapping paper, gift cards, and in our house, naked barbies strewn about (thanks to my 3 year old daughter) leaving a scene of utter chaos in almost every nook and cranny of our "small" home. It is overwhelming to say the least, but it is also a feeling of a sort of let-down, so to speak. Christmas is such an exciting, fun time, a time of celebration for Jesus' birth, and a time to come together with our family and spend in a joyful accord. But after the huge buildup of emotions and even after that warm and fuzzy feeling you get inside dwindles slowly away, it is kind of a bittersweet time of finality. It is as if you have been working on gifts, sending cards, decorating, cooking, and singing carols to just end in one long day of undoing. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and all of the hustle and bustle that comes with this time of year. I love watching my children's' faces after they open that gift they have been pining for, just as much as I enjoy seeing that initial look of *disappointment* when they find underwear or socks in their package. I love singing Christmas specials at church, and the after service fellowships with high calorie treats that everyone indulges in, even those on "diets". I love the adrenaline pumping "high" of opening that unknown gift that could or could not be what you hope for. I truly relish in thinking of Mary's moments holding sweet baby Jesus so many years ago, in such a humble place as a stable. I know that life will get back to "normal" and that things will get back to the same fast-paced flow, but right now I just sit and ponder how to keep Jesus in every part of this hectic, frazzled life. So the aftermath of Christmas isn't all bad, just different and something to appreciate like every other season in life.
I shall bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1

Currently have 3 comments:

  1. Megan says:

    Yes, The day after Christmas is different isn't it. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with a house too small for the toys, paper, boxes, etc. that is thrown throughout it. : ) It just makes me want to get crazy and do some major organizing. Unfortunately no one else in my family feels the same! LOL

  1. Mia says:

    i have been feeling this too! you start to wonder if the presents are worth it- what does it have to do with the Savior?

  1. Julie says:

    Oh, I know the feeling. It's nice to have some down days now, with school out for another week. Like Megan said, it's organizing time...and that includes the coupon folder!!
    Julie @Kingdom Klipper